sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

I have 2007 ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi .transmission selector

Customer Question

I have 2007 ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi .transmission selector skips over neutral and won't go into park.had been told it was most likely the selector selinode in above the valve body in trans , installed new one not it.i checked cable adjustment all good.the brake transmission control on shift cable has constant 9 volts and doesn't change with brake applied.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks 85000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new trans selector valve in transmission .ajusting selector filter and fluid,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I believe what has happened is the detent arm on top of the rooster comb on the valve body broke. This is a spring loaded arm with a roller on the end that stays in contact with the rooster comb to lock the shift linkage in each position. I've seen the rollers break off the arm and cause issues like you're having.

If you set the emergency brake and chock the wheels, slide under and remove the shift cable from the arm on the trans and then move the arm by hand will it go into each position correctly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It locks into all gears it just don't indicate park and nuetral so you can't start truck

The problem isn't with the physical movement of the shifter as described then, the problem is actually that it doesn't show the correct gear that the shifter is in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesnt indicate park or nuetral so it won't start the tranny locks in park and all other gears

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a scan tool to read TCM data?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ended up talking to local mechanic, he new exactly what the problem was. Rubbed wire harness buy ac line common problem with that year. Sorry your mechanic couldn't help me maybe next time.

Unfortunately I'm unable to help without communication. I'm glad you got it repaired.