sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My Allison tranny is in a 2013 hino 338 and I have a humming

Customer Question

my Allison tranny is in a 2013 hino 338 and I have a humming noise coming from the transmission when it shifts into overdrive (only hums when in overdrive between 85-95 km per hour. trans was just rebuilt by Allison dealer. I had this problem before the tranny failed also. any idea what this may be
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the noise is coming from the transmission for certain and only happens in overdrive then it most likely indicates either thrust bearing or geartrain noise. The damaged component had to have been overlooked when the trans was apart if the noise is truly coming from the transmission.

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to retrieve the codes on a hino. Does a person need to have a scanner or laptop plugged in to retrieve these codes. thanx

Yes, a scan tool or code reader is necessary to read fault codes.