xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase

I have a 2003 outback wagon with auto trans its on its forth

Customer Question

I have a 2003 outback wagon with auto trans its on its forth unit witch I installed last week after installing it warming it up I have a flashing trans temp light checked the code p0478 cleared it came right back on checked all wiring connections so I took it for a test drive shifts abruptly into high gear and cannot down shift once you stop it will start out in first but quickly shifts to high gear talked to people I got trans from they had test drove before they pulled it and said it was fine so I'm wondering do I have a on going problem with this car and its electronics or just a fluke thing that happened to this used trans I put in
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: oil temp and stays flashing the whole time
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a my own shop this car I bought from a good customer who was just sick of putting used trans in so I got for my daughter to take to college
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

are you also replacing the torque converter everytime?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would be nice to get a response seeing you got paid for not answering
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

i have not been paid as of yet...have you flushed the cooler ? any restrictions? any codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Has a new cooler and lines dropped the pan cleaned inspected all bolts and wiring pulled screen and cleaned it also
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

are you sure the code is po478?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

you have a electrical issue all the connectors good have you checked the wiring for breaks or damage?

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 month ago.

here is the test charts

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!