Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

My 2004 Audi A4 Quattro, 6 speed MT, needs a new clutch. Ive

Customer Question

My 2004 Audi A4 Quattro, 6 speed MT, needs a new clutch . Ive already disconnected everything from the tranny, including the slave cylinder and transmission to engine bolts. The culprit continues to be the shift rod linkage--it wont come off. The Pelican Parts tech article, among other tech articles do not break down this job for the b6 chassis. There is plenty of help for the B5 chassis, but the shift rod linkage in the b5 is held on by a set screw, while there is no visible screw on the b6 linkage. Ive removed the cap nut but the linkage remains rock solid in place no matter how much I attempt to pry at it. Please help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ive included two pics to help you help me!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hi im kevin the part in picture where youve removed clip should just slide off its in the bottom of picture it should slide off post .you might have to persuade it off with a lever or hammer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no clip, but there was a cap nut, where you now see the thread. I've used a hammer and screwdriver already. I dont want to damage the fragile shift rod. JHM motorsports speaks about a metal spacer thats inside the mechanism in this video @ 3 mins and 33 seconds in (3:33). The shift rod is very similar to this but there is no visible 'screw at the bottom' as explained in the vid and in the video it seems the shift rod is oriented upside down when compared to mine. I feel like a retaining clip is hidden inside the small welded enclosed box thats right next to the threading. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any more pics so i can be sure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
give me a minute
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's two more, but they dont show any better angles
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the best one I have
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Ok im gonna opt out im sure it should slide off but il see if another tech has info to confirm this

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks.