Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Same problem appearing on web page. 01 jetta, 2.0 auto,

Customer Question

same problem appearing on web page. 01 jetta, 2.0 auto, 170,000 wont shift out of 3rd or into overdrive. ABS and check engine light on. dealer says camshaft position sensor, german import mechanic says maybe transmission or catlytic converter.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried anything myself. will picture with G38 and G68 be a solution?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: recently had full a/c replacement - evaporator to compressor - done - $1000
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do understand that it looks like a scan test was performed but was the transmission control module scanned for codes? that scanning cannot be done with a generic scan tool. Vag com scan tool or a professional scan tool is needed to get the codes from that module.

please let me know if a scan test was performed and what codes you know is stored?