Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

I have a 2004 325i, the transmision runs good while is

Customer Question

hI!! I have a 2004 325i, the transmision runs good while is running on drive but if I stop and put the carr on neutral and then drive the transmission slip. went to a shop, first they replaced transmission fluid and filter, replaced the transmission valve body, reprogramed the computer and the carr is doing the same. The only code it had was something that said that the transmission was loosing comunication whith the engine computer, after reprogram the computer the code gone, but the carr still doing the same, and that just happen when I stop the carr and put the carr on neutro and then drive and just when the carr is warm, when is cold the carr runs great. And now the car is in safe mode and the mechanic say that the transmission control module is bad but I dont know what to say. Could you tell me something about?
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: last week and carr still the same. but we check it again this week and looks dirty
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: told you. fluid and filter, transmission valve body and reprogramed the computer
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: all I know that just happen when the car is warm and I change to neutral or parking and then drive
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when the carr is warm stink like transmission fluid but the car is not leaking
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when the car slip the mechanic turn off the car and do an transmission adaptation using his scanner and the car runs good until I sotp and put the car on neutral or parking and then move it to drive. slip againg
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If there are no codes coming up with this issue here now this sounds like an internal mechanical fault in the transmission itself.I have seen worn clutches or bands in the transmission cause this issue here needing replaced.The transmission will need removed and taken apart for inspection and repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete