Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

My dash says Transmission Fail safe program. When brake and

Customer Question

My dash says Transmission Fail safe program. When brake and it slows down, it jumps a little as if it shifts to low gear.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Its a 2005 X5 3.0, I haven't noticed any leaking
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done so far is research the issue. I would like to know what the issue is so when I take it for repair I know what to expect.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My radio stopped working too, it comes on but no sound. At the beginning of this year I had the alternator and battery core changed (core was changed twice).
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Cary York replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

If the transmission light on the dash is coming on you would need to have it scanned for codes. Most local parts stores will do it for free. When you get the codes I can better help you and let you know what the problem is. Post back with the codes when you can.