david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I own a Toyota Highlander 2004 4-cylinder. The check engine

Customer Question

Hi, I own a Toyota Highlander 2004 4-cylinder. The check engine indicating on my dash. I used an auto scanner and it gave me two codes: P0016 and P0031. The fuel consumption is also very high and I feel the car doesn't pull well.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, allow me a few moments to look up some information on your vehicle. thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I'm standing by. Thank you.

p0016- possible reasons---Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear Misalignment of timing belt/chain Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken Bad crank sensor Bad cam sensor Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged

p0031---bank 1 sensor 1-A short or open in the heater circuit in the sensor/ A failed O2 sensor heater Wiring/connectors broken/frayed leading to sensor and/or relay Failed PCM/ECM

so you need a new oxygen sensor for bank 1 its the upstream sensor.

and its seems you may need to have the timing chain,guides and tensioners replaced.

you can check for a damaged or loose connector to the crankshaft position sensor and the tone ring that it reads to generate a signal. that would be where i would start before jumping on replacing the timing chain.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi David, thank you for the information. So I guess I'm faced with two issues:
- the somewhat easier one is the check the oxygen sensor in bank 1, and replacement if defective - I presume an auto electrician can handle this (please confirm).
- the second seems more complicated:
+ to check damaged or loose connector to the crankshaft position sensor
+ tone ring that it reads to generate a signal
Can these (timing chain,guides and tensioners) be replaced individually without the system carrying being replaced?

as far as the oxygen sensor yes its fairly easy to replace

if you cant find any issues with the crankshaft position sensor itself or the connector or the tone ring, i would take a look to see if you can see any damage to the wiring from the sensor, up the side of the engine and iinto the main harness, before we worry about the chains etc...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi David, I would get help on these and get back to you with the outcome. Thank you very much.

you are very welcome

do you still need assistance?

hows it going? have you found your problem?

If you still need my assistance please let me know, if you were satisfied with my help please leave a 5 star rating for me. thanks and have a ggod day.