Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

Took it out, Now no reverse, and only the 2nd and 3rd gear

Customer Question

Took it out, Now no reverse, and only the 2nd and 3rd gear work
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: Believe it or not, I am the original owner,it has approx. 52,000 and no leaks
JA: What is the model of your '52 Porsche?
Customer: NO, it is a 1972--914 it has 52,000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I am trying to buy the parts, my mechanic says he will fix it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Well I just got I restored, the original guy say it is bushings, but how can I be sure.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately the transmission will need removed and taken apart in most all cases to be inspected internally to pinpoint the fault with it.This sounds like a fault with worn bushings,clutches or bands causing this fault here as some models can have with issues like this.This is best done by someone who knows how to inspect and repair this models transmission as it usually can require some special tools to dissasemble and correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No offense, I just don't like the service, maybe I ask the wrong question in my haste.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last couple of days.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete