Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

I just replaced my transmission on my 2008 Lincoln Navigator

Customer Question

I just replaced my transmission on my 2008 Lincoln Navigator because it was slipping. I installed a used transmission from a salvage yard, the scanner says there is a disconnect on the transmission unit AND now my reverse lights are not coming on when i am in reverse
JA: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?
Customer: please read above i just replaced it, it has not been driven more than a city block the transmission works great - getting the one message and no reverse lights when in reverse thats it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, all fuses, bulbs, basic standard tests
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no just what i typed above should be plenty of info i guess he will ask if he / she needs additional info i have not provided
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you are aware my phone is acting up, I am at work on my computer , answering on here is better if you must do email i can try and set it up on here. I'd much rather talk to you but unfortunately there is little time left to get the Navigator completed by the end of the day - this issue I believe is the last of our headaches. I'm holding 2 people to get the navigator hopefully completed in the next 1.5hrs max. Navigator is ins hop and mechanics standing by. Also, not to rush you but I am paying them by the hour to hear your advise in resolving this issue. Thank you again Mike
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is not actually a transmission question, i am having an issue with my break lights not working when in reverse and it is not bulb, or anything i believe related to a normal light issue
Also i cant seem to figure out why the air suspension says off - how do i get it turned back on
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 2 months ago.

Hi, so I saw that your reverse lights are not working...did you also say that the brake lights are not working or did I misread that?

And in the interest of time, because I also read that you guys are in a rush, I think that the most likely cause is the transmission range sensor, which should be located directly on the transmission. Unless this part was swapped from the original transmission, it is likely a faulty part and the electrical signal for the reverse lights comes directly from this sensor. I hope this takes care of your problem!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
brakes lights are working just fine

ok, good, I saw the reverse lights but then I also saw something about brake lights and that would have been totally separate issue. I would ask the guys if they swapped that range sensor on the tranny and if not I would have them do so before you continue; it sounds like it is the cause of the problem if it was not happening before transmission replacement.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where exactly is the transmission range sensor - i am being told the used transmission my mechanic put in has only one plug with wires on the inside of the transmission - he is not seeing any type of sensor/plug on the outside of the transmission
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry, I am at work too. I was planning on addressing this after work but I saw your time sensitive question and decided to dive in. Let me look it up for you.

It is on the driver's side of the transmission on the side. It should be held in by 2 bolts. It is a black plastic piece with an electrical connector going into the side of it.

I would expect that it would be easy to find on the original transmission

Look for it there and you should be able to find it on the new one

I have attached a picture of what it looks like for your reference

Have you guys had any luck?

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you were able to figure out where the range switch was. Let me know if I can help any more and I'll check in on you later if I haven't heard anything

Hi, this is josh checking in again. I haven't heard from you since yesterday and am just looking for an update.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The previous tech has opted out. Would you like me to help?