Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

I have a 1986 Ford Econoline 350 with a low mile

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Ford Econoline 350 with a low mile transmission that was replaced 5 years ago. Truck sat for 8 mos., and the reverse and drive discs locked up together. Park is normal, then reverse rocks back and forth trying to go forward and back, and goes nowhere. Neutral acts as drive (forward) and so does drive, drive 2, and drive 1. Any way to fix with out a rebuild, or installing another used tranny?
Sent from my iPad
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain,,the fluid pressure ius certainly crossing over

it is possible that the valve body gaskets are blown,,but i would think the problem is in fact internal..a bad seal or sealing ring

i would think the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced,,sorry,i dont see an easy fix here

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sir: I appreciate your honest answer, although it did not offer a solution to my problem. I would like to rate you excellent, yet,therefore, be charged just the $5 for the request and appointment, and not the full $37. How do I do that?

i am just being honest,the solution is to replace or rebuild.

understand that i can not help if the solution is easy or hard,..im just telling you the truth,no need to give you false hope..

i dont know how the rating works but i need a positive one if you feel im deserving

thanks