Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Chris, I have a Ford Freestyle with a cft30. I put in a used

Customer Question

Hi Chris,I have a Ford Freestyle with a cft30. I put in a used cft30 a couple of weeks ago and reflashed it. It has been working pretty good with no issues. Today, just of the blue, it won't go into reverse. Drives forward as it should, but it feels as if it is in neutral when I put it into reverse.No transmission codes, no wrench light. I looked at the data stream for the tcm, turbine speed does not go down when brake is applied when I put it in reverse, it goes down for drive. Also, I looked at the gear range, when in park - shows park; in reverse - shows unknown; neutral shows - unknown; drive shows - drive; L - shows unknown. Park works, drives forward in D, L. Does not go in reverse. Does not start in neutral. Only starts in park.What is my problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

This is going to be the transmission range sensor or shift linkage out of adjustment to blame as the primary cause. Secondary would be faulty reverse clutch seals. Here are the shift cable adjustment steps. If this is okay then TCM mechatronics replacement is needed do to the range sensor being integral to the TCM.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I looked at that procedure, I didn't do the procedure, because I don't think it's the shift linkage. I don't think it's the shift linkage because I tried slowly and gradually moving the shifter from park and into drive, so the shifter was in all possible positions and not just the grooved p-r-n-d-l positions, but reverse gear never showed on the scanner.Is there any way to confirm that this is a range sensor or seals on the reverse clutch? Does the fact that I get an unknown signal for the neutral position mean this is a range sensor?Also, are you sure that the range sensor is in the tcm on the cft30? I have split the cases on probably five of these transmissions and I thought the range sensor was inside the case, on the manual valve, next to the variators? part#410 is labeled range sensor.

To check the reverse clutch seals you would remove the mechatronics unit and air test the reverse clutch I thought the TR sensor was separate as well. Been about 3 years since I was in this transaxle. I was looking at different year models with my Ford login and found the year I selected there is a misprint. Stating the TR sensor location incorrect. The TR sensor is serviceable outside of replacing the mechatronics.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the follow up.I just don't know what to do with this car. I was about to pull the trans and replace the trans range sensor, but then I noticed the rpm were noticeably higher than usual while driving. The rpm were also high when the car glides down a hill. I think I also hear that the transmission is working more loudly, all the time that the car is on.I definitely wouldn't be happy if I pulled the trans and replaced the TR sensor and then all these other symptoms popped up and required possibly to pull the transmission out again.What I wrote about the rpm and the noise, do you think that is somehow connected with the TR sensor? By the way the TR sensors works properly more often than it doesn't. So I drive this car.

No the TR would not cause these 2 new issues. This looks to be the mechatronic controlling the variators incorrect and not getting the chain to run at the correct ratio. Still no transaxle trouble codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't hooked up the scanner recently to check, will try that tomorrow. But no wrench light.

Thanks, ***** ***** so and keep in contact before the post times out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Chris,I scanned the tcm, no codes. The range sensor seems to be working good for now, it has not been replaced. The rpms still feel unusual. The noise that I noticed was not the transmission, but the a/c.Is there anything else that can be done about the rpm, some kind of test or...?

Go into the best detail you can on the rpm concerns and i will try to come up with a plan.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When going down a hill, the gas pedal is not pressed, the rpm start raising and go up to 2k. I drove another freestyle down the same road and the rpm pretty much stay the same when going down a hill. On a road with a bigger deline the rpm goes up even more, 2.5k for example.

This post has timed out. I will opt out and see if another can get this figured out for you. It is taking you and I to long.