Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Please help. I get the message "shift to P when starting"

Customer Question

Hi! please help. I get the message "shift to P when starting" but the trnamission is in the P position
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: My car went for regular 5,000 mi check up 2 weeks ago and has been driven less than 50 miles since
JA: What is the model of your '50 Toyota?
Customer: 2006 hybrid
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no. this car has been taken care of by Toyota dealer exclusively and religiously according to manue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: wait. sorry. went out of screen by mistake
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
did not like the immediate offer to subscribe to a service, etc, etc. I am calling mastercard right now to refuse the $5 charge and block any other charges from you
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. this sounds like the safety neutral switch on the transmission is either defective or out of adjustment. this unit is located at the input lever of the shift lever on the transmission and tells the ECU what gear it's in. I would try an adjustment first, could be a cable or switch adjustment. Hope this helps your decision. If you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so.