xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase
6149662

When our 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited idols, and shifts,

Customer Question

When our 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited idols, and shifts, there is a loud sound coming from what sounds like the transmission
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking and we just purchased the jeep from a dealership, so most likely the transmission is 9 years old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried to fix it ourselves yet, only because the noise started yesterday. But if it is something we can fix, I would rather
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of, the Jeep runs very well has 89000 miles, and we are not sure if it towed, however has a hitch
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

is it under warranty?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We purchased an extended warranty, however I am not sure what that covers at this time.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

is it a humming or howl? is this automatic?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Humming, and is an automatic
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

does it go away if you shift to neutral?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The humming gets louder in pitch when jeep accelerates, and during shifting. Haven't tried that
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

when did you purchase?

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

if it does not go away in neutral its likley a failed wheel bearing,,if you just purchased i would bring it back to the selling dealer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
purchased the vehicle a week ago, ok, sounds good. Thank you for your help
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

they should warranty it if it was just sold Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 5 months ago.