Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

My Toyota Prado is having problem with reversing, 2003

Customer Question

My Toyota Prado is having problem with reversing
JA: What year is your Toyota?
Customer: 2003 model
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I'm not fixing it. I've sent it to the Toyota agent a couple of times but they failed to diagnose the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: They couldn't find out the root problem
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's happened a couple of times when I couldn't reverse my Prado. It is a automatic version. When I engaged the gear into R and step onto the accelerator, the engine rev just like the gear in N. But the car can move forward when gear in D. After driving a few minutes, the Reverse gear would work again. There is no pattern of R failure. What I did was just getting help to push the car out of the parking lot and drive forward. After a few minutes, the R would work again. After checking by Toyota agent using their computerized system, they couldn't find any record of error in the car system.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. If the fluid is up then you may have an mechanical problem the the valve body, that's why a scanner pickup anything bt if you have a good shop.that can do an active test they can check ch ge for operation,with what Info i have right now I would guess valve body or shift solenoid. IF YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED THE FLUID RECENTLY DO A FLUSH AND AD AN ADDITIVE,sometimes that frees tings up Hope this helps. If you need further assistance Ill be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Peter, NBT, the Toyota agent has changed the transmission fluid not long ago. I left my Prado for them to check again for 3 days 2 nights but nothing come up. They even did a pressure test for the gear transmission box and the reading is within the allowable range. They have done all kind of tests available to them but nothing shown abnormal. Do you think by changing the transmission oil again will help?

no if it's bin done recently I believe its valve body related, so your choice is replace the valve body or the transmission.