sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Man got a dodge 2006 dodge 3500 dually with with the 48E in

Customer Question

Hey man got a dodge 2006 dodge 3500 dually with with the 48E in it.
Doesnt want to downshift into 1st. It started doing it after about a 6hour drive across Tx. It shifts through everything on the up end. but doesnt want to downshift. And refuses to go into 1st once it gets out. Even when I put it in manually it doesnt want to.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You could have a valve body issue but the most common cause of not downshifting to first gear at a stop would be an inaccurate governor pressure transducer. It will report a pressure that is lower than actual and cause governor pressure to remain high when stopped rather than go to zero.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My initial assessment was inaccurate. It appears to down shift fine. What threw me off was the high rev range in seems to be stuck it.I replaced the solenoid and switch less than a week ago.So to clarify. It does down shift but it won't idle down all the way if that makes sense.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i did check for codes because it wasn't shifting. Swapped the stuff behind the pan and good to go. I'm feeling like its electrical. It's not slipping. It shifts through all the gears. Down shifts alright just stays revved up. Nothing dangerous but def higher than what it should be.

Does the transmission shift fine but appears to pull against the brakes when stopped?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Exactly right

That's the torque converter clutch staying engaged. If the solenoid pack was already replaced then the converter is going to need to be replaced to repair the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why isn't that throwing a code then?

The only way a code would set if there was an electrical issue with the trans. No mechanical or hydraulic issues other than high governor pressure will set a code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a better clutch I can put in.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've heard there are several weak spots with this trans

You can put an aftermarket torque converter in it but if the vehicle isn't modified and is being used as designed there wouldn't really be a need.