Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle

1997 4runner .Put in reverse to leave, then put in drive to

Customer Question

1997 4runner .Put in reverse to leave, then put in drive to leave and nothing. Now wont go into any gear. Shifter seems loose in my hand
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

you need to check the shifter linkage at the transmission first ?

have you checked fluid ?

did it do it gradualy or suddenly or yiu were struggling with been loose and now it gave up completley

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hasn't been a problem until this morning.Went into reverse fine, then when drive selected nothing. nothing happens no matter which gear is selected. Will go to any selected gear position easily, just not engage. Fluid level is fine .Was changed 30k ago.
Movement in shifter is new

you either have a linkage cable problem ,linkage side or transmission side, either linkage broke from outside or internally, if it

outside it is easy to fix, internally needs a shop ,unless you have proper tools and a lift .

The shifting solenoids in the valve body will be next in line , if you lost internal pressure then it want engage in any gears or will have delay in engagement

Testing needs to be performed on the trans vavle body , using a scanner ,or testing shift solenoids individually