sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Yesterday as I left my work going up road my truck was about

Customer Question

Yesterday as I left my work going up road my truck was about to change gears to next gear from a dead stop ! It stopped when it shifted the motor just reed up like it was in neutral !??? I coasted in a parking lot where I found I had reverse but nothing forward I got it coasted back downhill to my shop and found manually shifting to first and second I have some forward movement but not like it should be also has a sound like a scrub or rub sound but reverse seems perfect! No movement forward in drive what's ever!!!! truck was cold been sitting all day at work up until I left and this happened ! Had been noticing a hard shift into second at initial starts from when sitting ! Would just do it usually once then the shift to second was alot less hard the next time ? Truck is 2008 silverado LT 1500 2x2 148,000 fluid filter was changed not to long ago fluid full and good
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: As I said 2008 I bought used with 117,000 I assume original tranny ? No leaks at all
JA: What is the model of your '08 Chevy?
Customer: 08 silverado LT 1500*****
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a shade tree mechanic do lots of my own work yes would like to fix myself ! I haven't really done anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think in my first message discribes it all
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you also didn't have reverse then it's possible the problem could be mechanical failure in the rear differential, but since it does move in reverse that rules out the differential. Assuming the trans fluid is full, the problem is either clutch or planetary geartrain failure in the transmission.

The transmission will either need to be removed and disassembled for a complete inspection to see what has failed and what is salvageable for repair, or the transmission can be replaced.