Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My vehicle is a 2006 Nissan X-trail automatic. The last gear

Customer Question

My vehicle is a 2006 Nissan X-trail automatic. The last gear is delaying in changing unless I release the accelerator when it changes. What could be the problem?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 100,000km
JA: What is the model of your '06 Nissan?
Customer: NT30
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried an engine diagnostic test and the mechanics talked of wrong air/fuel ratios which I did not believe as the exhaust is very clear
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I wanted to know whether the symptom I have points to a defective gear changer switch or poor ATF fluid
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue or have the fault codes been checked at all for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Check Engine has not come up and no alarms/indications have appeared on the dashboard.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,since no check engine lights are appearing with this issue here I suspect the fault is with the transmission valve body itself.I have seen the valve body act up/fail in the past before and can cause issues like this here.If it was an issue with an electrical solenoid in the transmission or a throttle sensor issue usually the check engine light would come on and a code would set.

The transmission and internal transmission components need inspected/checked further to locate if the valve body is the cause and what needs done to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the valve body an internal or external component?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

This is an internal transmission component.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete