Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.

48RE goes into limp mode once transmission is warmed up.

Customer Question

48RE goes into limp mode once transmission is warmed up. Recent rebuild, tranny was in good condition, frictions and steels looked fine, all rubber was still soft, only exception was front kick down band about 50% worn. Rebuild was to fix current ongoing issue. Once at operating temp, tranny throws P2769. Checked wiring from PCM to tranny, fuse is fine. Idle forward line pressure is within range, stall is around 62psi (should be 90-96psi). Governor PSI stays around 50 from 0 to 60mph (this should rise depending on mph). All VB electronics have been replaced within the last 6 months (governor solenoid, governor pressure sensor/transducer, TCC/OD solenoid. VB has been cleaned out recently as well.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order for any of us to be able to help you with this problem you are having with your transmission we anre going to need complete information. Need to know the year make and model as well as engine size. Post back when you can with complete details and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins CR 4x4 with a 48RE.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The code P2769 indicates a problem with the torque converter circuit and in order to determine what is failing you are going to need to recheck your testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Run through them again and see if these will help you narrow this down.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram specific to a 2004.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins? I have a 2005 "Typical" transmission diagram out of my ATSG book but there are enough changes in that half a year to potentially throw things off.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That should have read '2006 Dodge typical wiring schematic', not 2005.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Have a look at this diagram and see if this is what your needing. If not post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm having trouble tracing this wire. I'm following the yellow /w orange tracer from the 8 pin transmission case connector (pin 1), to a connector fastened to the transmission bolts (top driver side), then goes to a connector above the master cylinder where the yellow/orange drop off. I've considered toning out the cable but it hasn't stopped raining here for a week so progess is slower than typical.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Im not sure what you mean when you say toning out the cable.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I work for telecommunications and I have equipment to trace cables by putting a signal on a wire that I can pick back up further down the line. It's how we can find one wire out of 100. I have traced this yellow/orange by hand 3 times through all the wire loom and am pretty sure I have the wire dropping off at the firewall, however, all of the wire schematics both yourself and I have show otherwise, so short of pulling the distribution panel out of the engine and splitting all the wire loom and tape apart from the engine to the tranny, I'll try to see if I can trace the cable using a signal generator, hopefully this afternoon once I get home from work I'll have a window of no rain.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If that dose not work have you considered just over laying a new wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have, but I want to try and determine the original path first. I take it a non functioning governor solenoid would explain the high/constant pressure while driving?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

That sounds very likely. Sometime its easier to overlay a new wire to avoid having to tear the harness down.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it appears our wiring diagrams are wrong on this vehicle. Circuit 86 from the power module tones out as a yellow/green and goes to the ECM pin 31 C2 connector. Can you pull a 2005 schematic and see if it corresponds with what I have?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay see the 2005 in the link below. i do not think its any different.