sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

My 2011 journy Lux is starting to stay in 2nd. Gear / when

Customer Question

My 2011 journy Lux is starting to stay in 2nd. Gear / when check engine light is will shift only after. Stopping & restarting engine.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The trans is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent operation it will lock you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many things that will cause limp in ranging from solenoids, pressure switches, speed sensors, wiring, internal trans problems, the TIPM, and the trans controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are setting?