sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

My 2009 Altima won't shift gears. When I try to use the

Customer Question

My 2009 Altima won't shift gears. When I try to use the click shift, it stays in 6thgear. The Roma go up when I accelerate but the car dies not pick up speed. I used the "shift lock" override system bit that did nothing. Ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need my answer now!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the trans stays in a single gear then it's in limp in. Either the transmission control module is not awake or it has seen a failure in the system, set fault codes and locked you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many causes of limp in ranging from the TCM itself, the range sensor, solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, and internal transmission problems.

The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool or code reader to see if the TCM communicates, and if so to see what fault codes have set, and then testing can be done from there.