Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 3.5l. The transmission shift

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 3.5l. The transmission shift solenoids were bad. not shifting and throwing codes. I replaced all of the and did a full service on it. Now when I take off in drive the car at 35 -55 shakes and tries to shall and did stall once. If I put it in 3rd and take off it shifts perfectly and does not try to stall, and I can manually go into overdrive and its fine. It acts like it goes into over drive way too soon when I start off in overdrive. Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

In order to determine if the problem is an internal problem or an electronic control issue you are going to need to scan the computer system to see if there are any fault codes resetting since you last repair. If you can get this done and post back with them we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No codes since I replaced the burnt solenoids
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In most cases if there are no codes setting then that usually means its not an electronic control issue and usually means the problem is an internal concern usually meaning your going to need to replace the transmission and or overhaul it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but it was not doing this before I replaced the solenoids. I checked the solenoids again and made sure every thing was plugged up and seated correctly and it is. The fluid is clean and 2 of the 4 solenoids that I replaced were burnt.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Do you remember the codes you where getting, if so perhaps you need to recheck the circuit to them. Its also very possible the solenoid failed do to the internal concern as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay I would go back in and recheck the shift solenoid with the test steps in the link below to be sure the new solenoids and the circuit are okay.

See the wiring diagram in this link for reference.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok will let you know
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay, Im here if need be.