Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have BMW X5 e70 4.8l, goes in limp mode ( engine very slow

Customer Question

I have BMW X5 e70 4.8l, goes in limp mode ( engine very slow respond even in N or P ), and the only fault code it shows is 4e86 ( EGS solenoid valve 3 ).
Agency said need to change valve body for the gearbox ( ZF 6hp28X ).
Is this seems to be the cause or just guessing since they replace the intake manifold actuators and doesn't solve it.
thanks
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the engine will not rev up or operate properly in neutral or park and feels like a lack of power or bogging in those gear positions this can be due to a fault with the fuel system.Usually this is not an issue with the gear box when this fault also occurs in park or neutral but more of a fault with the engine components.

I would have the fuel system tested/checked for any issues needing repaired or replaced as well as the exhaust tested for excessive back pressure as this can cause this fault as well here.Restricted fuel issue or plugged exhaust component is the most likely cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete