K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

A/c doesn't work. Clutch doesn't engage

Customer Question

A/c doesn't work. Clutch doesn't engage
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What is the year, make model and engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

07 pontiac g5 2.2

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks. Do you know if there is power to both sides of the fuse and power to the relay?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yes there is power to the coil connector about 14v also the relay clicks on and off

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks. Does the clutch also kick on and off? See if it does that with the compressor unplugged also, thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hmm no the clutch does not function. The coil reads as shorted or no continuity. I plugged in a new coil to the clutch coil connector. Doing this blew the 10 amp AC fuse and also shorted the new coil.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That is a bad compressor clutch diode. Easy to replace and available at Radio Shack and such. Some are in the wire connector at the compressor and some are in the under hood fuse block, (C60 or C67 compressors)

Please see attached diagram, thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yeah I do have the Haynes wiring schematic, diode was my guess. I have checked the clutch coil connector pulled the full thing out of the sheathing. Also checked the fuse box. No relay or fuse is labeled for a diode. Is it some place I'm not looking?

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

.

*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********

.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, the diode is built into the clutch coil connector.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

Clutch coil connector does not appear to be bulky. If u cut off the car side (male end) and open it up, there will be a diode inside?

It should be the diagram shows it there, see below. Usually gm puts them inside or outside and in a type of heat shrink

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hmm, yeah there is definitely no bulge or shrink wrap prior to plug. Ive also called wells, a maker of an OEM comparable replacement.

They said, a replacement connector does not include a diode inside. Not that that means anything.

You can always install one, here's the sheet with part number info