sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2003 nissan exterra, and the same thing as this guy

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 nissan exterra, and the same thing as this guy happened to me, http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/4gfs8-nissan-datsun-xterra-2003-nissan-exterra-turn-key-nothing.html AND I jumpered the 3 and 5 and it started. Except it only drives in 2nd gear. We bought a new neutral switch as autozone and I installed it and it would not start. I called nissan and he said to loosen the switch and range it back and forth while someone keys the ignition and nothing happened. He said it could be a fault in the harness some where or the security system. Well I think it has a factory security system. I checked everywhere and the wiring under the dash looks factory and nothing under the seats. I have no idea if autozone gave us the wrong switch, everything including the wiring looks the same. I have no way of knowing where to start to find a fault in the harness or security system. i will gladly pay you if you can help me get through this before my wife takes it to nissan on monday. I put everything back together, lined up the switch and we are driving in second gear. Please help. Thanks.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery was cleaned up. The cables arent perfect though. I went over them real good.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Nissan?
Customer: exterra. 4WD, 3.3 liter automatic.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i would like to fix this/ I stated what I tried. Replaced the neutral saftey switch and checked the wiring.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont have forever. If you dont have an answer soon Im going to need my money back.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be with the range sensor's wiring but it isn't that likely if there are no visible wiring or connection issues. I question whether the transmission control module is awake, it may be down due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground.

Do you have a scan tool or code reader to check for communication with the TCM?