Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

My son's 05 dakota, on longer trips it shifts into four

Customer Question

my son's 05 dakota, on longer trips it shifts into four wheel drive by itself. don't think the 4 x indicator lights but i have not been in the car when it occurs
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: had 2 tranny codes, i could find out whatt code numbers, have to call the shop where his mom took it. they say they want to put a rebuilt tranny in it for $4k. think there crazy!
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge? I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix.
Customer: 2005 dakota, V8 quad
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not qualified - maybe a 60's or 70's vehicle but not now. what i've read, most people can't identify the problem i was hoping to research to tell a tech i take it to.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: my son is 17, been driving for a short time and not very mechanically inclined. i am working off his description of events, so what i know is limited
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

If the transmission shifts fine but the transfer case is shifting into 4x4 on its own, then this is not a transmission problem it is in the transfer case, or the controller for the t-case. A rebuilt transmission will NOT solve this problem.

If you can get it home I would be more then happy to help walk you through trouble shooting this problem, as well as making the needed repairs. As long as you have basic tools and a digital volt meter we can work together and fix this problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i know a new tranny has nothing to do with the transfer case. NHTSA has multiple reports of same problem but no solutions. i have read potentially the 4x activator motor has short, the wiring to it has a short and in one case, one guy was told a leaking seal between tranny and transfer was allowing excess oil into the transfer case thereby engaging it. yes i have a volt meter and the truck is at my son's house.

What time would be good for use to get together and do some testing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it will have to be tomorrow. have you had experience with this issue before?

I have, and 90% of the time the actuator is the problem.