Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

Have only drive gear in only one gear plus reverse. Won't

Customer Question

Have only drive gear in only one gear plus reverse. Won't shift.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Tried the trabsmission reset procedure byt no luck. Car is 2005 with 131K miles
JA: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?
Customer: E320 W211 4Matic.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried trans reset procedure with key in 2nd spot, etc.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Have a check engine light on. Just replaced the auxillarty battery under the hood.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

as you have the check engine light on then its possible that the engine control is keeping everything in limp home and will usually lock out the transmisson in 2nd or 3rd at the same time

so as the next course of aciton I'd suggest to plug the car into a scan tool and read off the code which will then point to the fault

It would also be worth checking the oil level on the trasnmission as if this is low then you can also get a transmisson lock up

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you