sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

My 2010 Mazda 3 with 2.5 litre and automatic/manual

Customer Question

My 2010 Mazda 3 with 2.5 litre and automatic/manual transmission is very hard to shift into gear from park to drive I have to really push hard on the brake pedal to get it out of park
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have to push extra hard to get the shifter to come out of park then the issue is related to the brake/shifter interlock. The shifter can't be removed from park unless the brake is pressed.

The problem could be lack of proper brake assist. If the pedal feels harder than normal then you either have poor vacuum to the booster or the booster itself has failed.

If the pedal feels normal but has to be pushed further than normal to get the shifter to release then odds are you have a bad brake switch.