sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2005 Chrysler Sebring will not shift properly. Started after

Customer Question

2005 Chrysler Sebring will not shift properly. Started after a dead battery, scanned came back with a generic tranny code. replaced the shift solenoid and transmission control module, still having issue. after each item was replace ran ok for a few hours then back to not shifting out of 1st. Sometimes if you accelerate then let off it will shift but not always sometimes it will barely crawl.....any suggestions at a loss
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I am guessing 2005 we bought the car a couple years ago. No leaking noticed when changing parts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, hoping to. the parts that I listed above have been what was tried so far. I have read that the electrical transmission needs to be reprogrammed we did not disconnect battery after we jumped it nor after we installed parts
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i have not replaced the fluid or the filter, other than that not really. Just reading different forums and really do not want to just start throwing a bunch of parts at it after replacing the two I have done.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It should read I have replaced fluid and filter. Throttle position sensor was the second part added. Transmission control module and throttle position sensor new parts. Code was P0563 from the scanner said something about High Voltage.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I assume your trans is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation it will shut off the trans relay and lock you in second gear.

There are may possible causes for limp in. Other than the solenoid pack and TCM it could be an internal trans issue, speed sensors, wiring, an internal trans issue, or the trans relay.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. It sounds like you found a P0700 in the PCM which sets when there is a code stored in the TCM. P0563 is just a high battery voltage code and is usually set by a battery charger. Have you gone into the TCM to see what is setting there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Our mechanic is on vacation at the moment and we will have him go into the TCM when he is available. Just cleared the codes tried driving the car, when cold the car will not shift, when it warms up it will now hard shift. Light came back on, scanned it again getting codes P0700, P0891, P0562? Keep in mind we have changed the Transmission Control Module, and the Throttle Position Censor....any suggestions?

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Can you swap the trans relay with another and see if it shifts?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Already done that and no it did not make a difference...

Was there any other work done that was not mentioned?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sir

If the relay is removed, codes are cleared and then the car driven does the P0891 set?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I am understanding you correctly...the relay is in the same spot as I switched them back and still have the p0700 p0562 and p0891

The relay needs to be removed, the codes cleared and then drive the car to see if the P0891 still sets.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I will try that and get back to you in a bit...

Ok.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did that and the p0891 is gone...

There has to be a relay control circuit issue then.

Are you able to do electrical testing yourself?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
as long as u know what circuit to check I have a VMM.

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sir

With the alligator clip grounded and the relay removed, with the engine running how many terminals that engage the relay have power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checking It now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only 1
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry reread the question have 1 terminal that actually has power main power 0 light up other than main power

Is the problem intermittent then? If the relay wasn't the issue then the problem isn't currently present.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The check engine light is back on do I need to clear that first and then try it?

It doesn't matter if the engine light is on for what we're testing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I do not now if I can be intermittent because the check engine light is still on and it will not shift?

If it never shifts and the P0891 always sets then the problem is not intermittent. If the problem is intermittent then test results don't add up. If the code does not set with the relay out then the problem has to be the relay or it's control circuit is stuck on. You just found that the control circuit is not stuck on, and you said that the relay had been replaced and the problem remained.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is correct after resetting we got a p0700 in the description the freeze frame dtc has p0888

With the relay out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No with it in

That's the opposite of the code you that you said was setting. P0891 sets when the relay is stuck on, P0888 when it's off. You reinstalled the relay after testing, cleared codes, drove it again and P0888 was set?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
with a different relay from the fuel pump relay instead of the starter relay...could it be possible that I have multiple bad relays?

Is one terminal that engages the relay grounded?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is......after swapping relays I now have a p0004 and a pending p0700 with no mil
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shift harder
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the p0562 have anything to do with the p0700 that keeps coming on?

P0562 sets when battery voltage is low and isn't a factor.

P0004 isn't a valid code.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it a factor as in maybe the pcm is bad? It keeps setting the p0070 code but have no charging issues but it keeps coming back to p0562 p0700

P0562 sets when battery voltage is low and isn't related to limp in.

P0700 sets in the engine controller when there is a code stored in the trans controller and is just informational.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He we are going to get with our guy to pull TCM codes and let you know what those come back at. Let me know if you have any more ideas.

I thought you were reading the codes from the TCM last night?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
PCM unless they are one in the same...

You were mentioning trans codes being set during the discussion. P0891 and P0888 set in the TCM.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No at the beginning of our discussion yesterday I mentioned our mechanic being out of town he would have to scan TCM codes if there is something special you have to do. Sorry for the misunderstanding we are hooking up our scanner and getting these codes and resetting tryING different things and resetting the codes coming back to those same codes depending on what we do or have done.

So you were in fact reading and clearing codes when you said you were last night?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sir

You're back to test results not correlating then. If it sets a P0891 with the relay in place then the problem has to be the relay or it's control ciruit is stuck on, if it sets a P0888 with the relay out. If the relay has been replaced that would rule it out, and you found the control circuit was not stuck on if testing was done correctly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will pass that on to my husband when I get back in town so he can tell me what to reply

Ok.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is back to limp mode the stored code I have is P0700 and the freeze frame DTC is P0562 then I have a pending P0700 that also has a freeze frame DTC of P0562. Currently no P0891 or P0888. From the very start the P0562 has been constant during my transmission diagnostic problem. Currently that is the only thing that the P0700 is pointing to and it is in limp mode. I know you are saying it is unrelated but this it the one thing that it is always on.

P0700 and P0562 are unimportant. P0562 sets when batery voltage is low and P0700 just sets in the PCM when there is a code in the TCM. P0562, if it's even in the TCM, will not cause limp in and P0700 is informational. There is at least another code stored in the TCM if it's in limp in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Going back to ground 0....tested the with the light again 1 power light on.....have moved around 3 different relays get P0891 with all 3 relays took the relay out and I get P0888. So am I understanding you correctly from last evening basically I need to replace the relay? Why would it give the P0891 with 3 different relays? All 3 bad? Thoughts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should add I get the P0888 when I was driving to the parts store with it out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is pending freeze frame code as well

These tests results do point to the relay being the issue but you aren't going to have three bad relays.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just purchased a new relay, installed and going to see what happens I will keep you posted.

Ok.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Put the relay in reset code took it for a drive no DTC's and no MIL but still stuck in limp in mode. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Turned the car completely off and then started the cat back up now have P0700 with no freeze frame DTC.

The screen shot shows P0700 and P0888.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Those were supposed to send when we were on our way to the auto parts store. Learning how to attach pics. After we put the new relay in just P0700...

It's not possible for P0700 to set by itself. P0700 sets in the PCM when there is a code in the TCM.