Tony Peake
Tony Peake,
Experience:  Service and Parts Manager at CastleRock Jackson

Knocking and grinding 2001 pt crusier when driving not

Customer Question

Knocking and grinding 2001 pt crusier when driving not clicking like a cv joint
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 2 months ago.

have you looked at all four cv joints they fail quite often on these cars along with front wheel bearings. please let me know what the condition of the cv joints are. so that I can further assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
driver side looks good no boot damage passenger It had some free play when I shook at transmission when I pulled to take off it stretched where the boot by the transmison is
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its not clicking its grinding and it don't click when turning just grinding noise and its not constant when I drove it home it was off and on as I babbyed the gas

the passenger side is usually the failure they make a upgraded passenger shaft for the turbo model I recommend you upgrade to that. please let me know if you think of anything else that I can help you with.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its not a turbo
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you think the grinding noise is the CV passenger side it did make a thumping on the floor board as well

I understand but you an install the stronger turbo shaft in your non turbo car for longer durability. we have done that for years in my shop if its not the cv shaft how does the transmission oil look any metal shavings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it poore out when I pulled the cv it looked pretty good not dark and I haven't I didn't see any shavings im gonna go fins the drain whole and look there if there isn't any its most likely the cv then ? I put my finger in both sides and didn't feel any metal either spun the axle bearing and they sound same both sides

it pouring out is normal you usually loose about a quart when pulling the shaft let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the passenger axle on boot towards the trans is that suppose to be accordion like is it suppose to push together there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if theres shavings is that trans easy to rebuild its manual

There are several special tools required to rebuild that transmission but there are several remanufactured and used options out there that you could install yourself if you have the tools to do so.