sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Having shifting problems. Should u change all solenoids and

Customer Question

Having shifting problems. Should u change all solenoids and transducer or just transducer and pressure governor? 2002 42re
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I wouldn't recommend blindly replacing parts without an attempt to diagnose the issue. The problem is most likely just one of the electrical parts or it may not be an electrical concern at all; no problem description had posted with the question.

What actual symptoms are you experiencing?
Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good call haha.Apart from the fact the engine is torn apart so I can replace the Pistons after the skirt on number five broke the transmission was acting goofy the months before. It doesn't want to stay in fourth at freeway speed or really anytime it should be in fourth. Sometimes it will go into fourth okay but it will randomly downshift to third and occasionally remain there. It is worse when it has worked hard. I've only ever once got a cel and I don't remember the specific code, but it was something along the lines of third fourth shift malfunction. I haven't had any symptoms consistent with a TPS malfunction or codes related to that. It will almost always downshift going downhill with no or little throttle, accelerating up into the 80 range sometimes helps, but doesn't appear that just more throttle itself will force it to up shift. I haven't paid enough attention to see if it's going into lockup when it's in fourth. Fluid looked okay, bit dirty, but not burned and still red. Magnet filter had some debris, but seemed inline with a 170,000 mile transmission as I've never previously wiped it off, could be wrong though. Other filter was a bit dirty and I'll replace it. It seemed to me like a pressure transducer and solenoid was a good place to start.

If it's slipping out of fourth and setting a code then it's either going to be the overdrive solenoid, overdrive clutch damage or the overdrive piston leaking. You can try replacing the solenoid pack first if you don't believe there is clutch damage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is metal on the magnet filter, a little mound before I wiped it off. So maybe that's clutch material, but it's got 170,000 on this tranny with only a new pressure governor solenoid, filter, and fluids. Do you think it would be wise to drop the tranny while the downpipe is already off and only the block is still attached? I have to wait a week for the Pistons to show up anyway. I've never torn that far into a transmission though.

It's definitely possible that the issue is just the overdrive solenoid. The mileage is high and internal repair may be immanent, but I think it would be a good idea o replace the solenoid pack before committing to overhauling the trans.