Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

2009 Chrysler T and C limited, I have a clunk when shifting

Customer Question

2009 Chrysler T and C limited, I have a clunk when shifting from park to drive or reverse, it use to be more of a click but has become louder, I can feel it on my feet, also with front end jacked up I have about an inch of rotation of tires
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Front end drivers side, start about a month ago but has got worse or louder lately
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Can fix my self, tried nothing yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: There is a kind of whining at high speeds and sound increases with faster speeds, I did replace wheel bearing hubs last fall, I did check those and they are tight
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

there is a technical bulletin of the front trans mount at the radiator area. first an inspection of the mount of flex and sloppyness. also the rear if the flex is excessive the mounts needs to be replaced first before diagnosing internal transmission issue.

how are the mounts ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked motor and transmission mounts and they are good
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

what i would like for you to do is to loosen the mount bolt from the bracket to the mount and then retorque the mount and then retry to see if the clunk is still there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did retorque mount bolts and still there, I had some help tonight and had him listen while I shifted, metallic clunk appears to be right near tire and hub, thinking maybe outer CV joint, I did heard it today a few time when taking off from stop sign. Does that sound right? CV joint? But I don't hear it making turns
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

is the vehicle awd?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Front wheel drive
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

there is no cv joint in the rear . so it has to be a brake or something loose in the rear like a shock , spring broken etc....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't say rear, it is the front drivers side, front wheel drive Chrysler mini van
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

my fault. i have read your explaination the wrong way!!

if you lift the side that you hear up and turn the wheel slightly is there play on the shaft axially? is the brake pads loose? please see the anchor that the pads hold them in is there any play there?

you may have to take the wheel off to really see

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is play, I can rotate tire about inch or so back and forth, seems like to much play to me. I replaced brake pads, rotors and calipers 6 months ago, hub bearings front last fall, everything there seems tight, Think I'll replace drivers side axle this week, I think the sound is right by hub, CV joint, I can replace axle for under $200 myself
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

yes it is easy . remove the 2 strut bolts to knuckle and then pop the axle out and replace.