sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

2003 gmc envoy just bought it i did a test drive and it

Customer Question

2003 gmc envoy just bought it i did a test drive and it changed gears great went back to dive it home still changed great parked it went back to drive it and now it won't move at all in any of the gears
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: when i put it in part the doors lock
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i want to fix myself i haven`t tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: thats really all i know
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 3 months ago.

well lets start bychecking the trans fluid level, with the engine idling in park pull the red handled dipstick under the hood and let me know if its full and how it looks, what color.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looks like the fluid level is to high and a dark brown

brown is not good, but its odd that it has no gears, disconnect the battery and touch the wires together to discharge the capacitors then hook it back up and start it up and see if there is any difference.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did as you said touched the wires together hooked them back up tried and nothing changed

well the next step since the fluid is burnt will be to drop the transmission pan and see if what the filter looks like or if there is any debris in the pan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have a restricted filter. If the filter becomes restricted with debris then it will cause line pressure to drop as the pump is starved, and it can progress to the trans not engaging at all. The fluid could be brown due to a clutch failure or it may just be due to lack of maintenance. The fluid level being high is likely indicative of the pump not pulling fluid from the pan, although someone could have overfilled it in the past.

Were you able to get the pan dropped?