Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

Car has 2 codes, P0961 and P0871. Transmission downshifts to

Customer Question

Car has 2 codes, P0961 and P0871. Transmission downshifts to first at highway speeds and won't shift back up. Also hear an intermitent clicking noise coming from the transmission. Have had transmission rebuilt last year and megatronic unit replaced. Intermitently works good.
JA: Have you heard this particular sound before?
Customer: only recently
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Ford 500 FWD w/ CVT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have had transmission rebuiilt w/ new megatronic unit
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: intermitent delay going into gear
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The code P0961 suggests that the CVT module has detected an issue of the Pressure Control A solenoid by noting that main pressure is out of range (either high or low). Code P0871 also suggests an internal pressure issue of the valve body or main pump pressure. When codes P0871 and P0961 are set together, the next step is to disassemble the unit and inspect for internal damage and/or metal contamination. Has this been done?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not yet, we will be doing that in the next few days. So you think more internal hard part failure vs electrical issue?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately I suspect as much, you should be able to tell once you have a look. This Transmission is very common to have these issues and its usually always internal.