Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd the first time

Customer Question

Transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd the first time fine. when you come to a stop the trans shifts to neutral and will not move. If you shut the engine off and restart the transmission wil start out again into 1st after that the trans shifts verry hard into 3rd and sometimes feels like it is in 2 gears at once.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 1996 accent no leaks and trans oil has been changed and is full.I also changed the filter and no metal in the pan.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed the fluid and filter also added a can of lucas trans oil additive. I took it to a trans repair who did a full scan and said all the soel were working and the problem seemed to be internal.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The repair shop wanted 2500.00 dollars for a rebuilt trans.I can do some repairs myself but not internal in the trans.I cannot spend 2500.00 as the car is not worth that much.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just want to check a couple of basics.Is the transmission fluid level full, does it smell burnt? No warning lights on or diagnostic trouble codes stored? Does it have 4th gear and does it also loose reverse when it goes into neutral?