Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2006 cobalt. occasional transmission problem, hard shifting.

Customer Question

2006 cobalt. occasional transmission problem, hard shifting. turn car off for a couple of minutes and it is fine. once, the power steering light came on and speedometer got jumpy. turned car off, everything back to normal. does grounding the tcm help?
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: electronic power steering and it is the transmission that is the probem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: some professional help flushed transmission, checked fuses
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Do you still need help on this concern?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.
  • Adding another ground to the TCM should not help this concern. Can you do some diag with my help?

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put on the ground and it seems to be working well. While I don't pretend to be an expert, the sporadic nature of the problem does suggest it is some kind of voltage issue. Others have mentioned fuses, new battery and of course, replacing the TCM. I don't have any diagnostic tools, but if I do have a problem, I may get back to you and triangulate with my mechnanic.I appreciate your effort to date and as I say, if the problem comes back, I will renew this thread.Thanks

Thanks for the update. If you rate this post it will complete it and allow you to respond back to this post later if needed.