xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase

Can an old cvt transmission casing effect a new re-manned

Customer Question

can an old cvt transmission casing effect a new re-manned cvt transmission. We own a 2007 Nissan altima that we purchased at 106,000 miles. At 109,000 miles the transmission completely went out. This car had a factory extended warranty because of class action lawsuit, so they went from 100k to 120k warranty. Hence the say they gave us a re-manned transmission but used old casing. Now the vehicle has 131,000 on it and I broke down 4 weeks ago. The vehicle as driving after 2.5 hrs at 95 degrees went from 80 mph to speeds ranging from 10 to 50 while speedometer would go from 0 to 60 and rpms would go from 0 to 7000 all well car was completely jerking up and down in speeds.
I drove the vehicle like this for over 10 miles due to the heat and my child being with me to get to gas station. Tow truck came to get us 2.5 hrs later and was like holy cow you burnt this one out, you can smell it. So we get it back home to dealer ship and they send it for diagnostics for 4 weeks and all of sudden there is nothing wrong with it they say and it never acted up for them.
when i pick it up the triangle light comes on showing there is problem, they tell me this is tire pressure which has it's own light that has been on sense we owned the car. And also when ever i shift the car in R the steering wheel starts to majorly pulsate. They tell me that this must be from broken motor mount not the transmission. As I told them it never did this prior to this. And if it does have a broken motor mount is it likely that was from when the 1st transmission went out then causing this issue with the new re manned transmission.
Any knowledge is appreciated.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

did they find a bad motor mount?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no, they just said that because steering wheel was pulsating that this was this issue was the motor mount.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

that makes no sense.... so its shifting perfect now? is the warranty expired?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
said it is likely and typical that motor mounts go out prior to 130k. I told them I don't buy that, I've never had a motor mount go in any of my vehicles, hell my truck has 263k and still not
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

they know the cvt is a problem did they scan for codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
warranty is expired from extended at 120k, then when remanned transmission was put in at 109k it only came with 12 month 12k warranty still leaving us at 121k, we are at 131k
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they said they did, however I have caught them in several lies, so i'm really having hard time believing them at this point. scan supposedly said tire presure
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they say the cvt is not a problem, its new, they are saying that there is no problem with the transmission even though I have video showing what it was doing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
right now it is driving ok, although we can feel the differnce as a daily driver can feel things that feel differnt, however to the average person I would suspect that it does feel normal other then the pulsating steering wheel when put in reverse.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

the transmission usually needs to get hot to act up.. how many miles did they drive it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they say they drove it 25 which is virtually impossible because i was recording it on interstate at 130727 and drove another 13 miles roughly to exit, then the dealership where we bought it took it to nissan and picked it up which adds another 20 miles and I picked it up with 130862 which means max they could of drove it is 2 miles.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
130762 im sorry
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

they need to tet drive it with tool and watch the temp counts Nisan refers to them as A and B counts... if the counts fall out of norm the unit gets replaced

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what would cause this to happen. improper installation or bad parts? or just plain bad luck. Sense we only have 27k on this new remanned transmission, the question becomes is this our problem or something that goes back on nissan. I know your not attorney, just asking
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

wwhat it boils down to is the CVT is of poor design and it will likely be a problem you are constantly chasing as even nissan still hasnt figured out how to produce a quality CVT that dosnt fail

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Anticipated that answer
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

my best advise to you is if it is still shifting to try and trade out to something more reliable

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 3 months ago.

is there anything else i can help you with i know this is not good news or what you want to hear but if you are in a position to trade out it is something to strongly consider while you can and if you could please rate me between 3 and 5 stars so i can get paid for my service it would be greatly appreciated and if y ou have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask as i am still at your disposal as far as this issue is concerned