rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2004 bmw x3 3.0 three codes were pulled 299a 55

Customer Question

I have a 2004 bmw x3 3.0 three codes were pulled 299a 55 145
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: a shop pulled them up the failsafe light comes on after driving for 15 minutes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will let a shop fix it if it isn't tranny something is causing failsafe to engage
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what I'm trying to find out if something is causing tranny to go into failsafe mode vehicle only has 133k miles do the codes cause tranny to go into failsafe mode change fluid in tranny solve it or low voltage from battery I don't know that's why I called you failsafe mode is to protect tranny I thought when you turn keyoff failsafe light gos out then after you drive 10 15 minutes it comes on
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

We need to identify the problem starting with fluid level and color. Then we need to operate the shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode. After that, we need to drop the pan and do an inspection looking for metal shavings, checking the valve body and clutches.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not happy with response didn't answer my question at all
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 9 months ago.

Yes I did, the preliminaries need to be done first, then once you have a scan tool attached is when the other questions will be answered. We need DATA first, no guesswork will work with this issue.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me and keep this link in case you still need me later on, which you probably will.