Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I own a 2003 z4 manual tran, I've noticed when in first gear

Customer Question

I own a 2003 z4 manual tran , I've noticed when in first gear going slow I have some play in the drive when letting off the gas and getting back on gas and there seems to be a movement in the gear shift. what is your thoughts on this? Is it the universal? should it have that play in it?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

ok this is normal to an extent, since the shifter is part of the transmission you most likely have a little play in the engine mounts or transmission mount, the only time you will not have shifter movement is when the shifter connects via linkage, then the movement is not transferred as much, but when the shifter is mounted directly to the trans such as yours you will always feel a little movement. so get the tran mount an engine mounts inspected. hope this helps. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.