sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I was driving then my Bmw stopped working, the gears are not

Customer Question

I was driving then my Bmw stopped working, the gears are not getting in and it's just making a strange noise when trying to go in driving, reverse or any gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It's a 2002 model
JA: What is the model of your '02 BMW?
Customer: The brake switch?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bmw X5
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have tried nothing, I just moved it off the road and that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I hope you are well, my name is ***** ***** I will see if I am able to help you with this.

Is the vehicle automatic or manual?

If it is manual, I would suspect that the clutch is not releasing when you press the pedal, making a grinding or grating noise when you try to move the lever into a gear.

Let me know and i'll try to help you diagnose it ;)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it's not manual, it's automatic

Sorry for the delay, I will open this back up for someone with better knowledge of the automatic.

Another expert will be along shortly, please wait for their message or it will return the question back to me.

I hope you get it resolved shortly.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the transmission does not engage or is slipping and there is an abnormal noise then odds are there is an internal transmission issue, but it could be a CV shaft or differential failure. A trans issue would be more likely.

With the trans in park are you able to push the vehicle or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?