sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2004 Dodge Sprinter 3500 stuck in 1st gear, this is after we

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Sprinter 3500 stuck in 1st gear, this is after we changed all the ATF fluid in both the transmission and the torque converter. The transmission was slipping when I came to a stop light before we changed the fluid and the filter. It was driving fine on the highway and when I stopped for gas the slipping started. I had to limp to a hotel. Then spent the next morning changing out the fluid. Now it's not slipping but it won't get out of first gear.
JA: Do you have the torque specs? What size is the engine?
Customer: MB 2.7 5 cyl turbo diesel
JA: What is the model of your '04 Dodge?
Customer: Sprinter 3500 140,567 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fluid and filter change, checked all the electrical connections, all dry with no atf. Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, don't have a scanner to check the codes though.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did notice a fine mist of aft on the back window of the truck. This is a flatbed Sprinter and I was headed to pickup the bed. So the driveshaft and drivetrain are exposed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the trans is stuck in a single gear then it's most likely in limp in. Limp in will happen when the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation and sets a fault code. Solenoids, input speed sensors, wiring, internal trans issues, the trans controller itself, or an internal trans failure.

It's possible that the trans controller is seeing slip because of incorrect fluid level and putting it in limp in. Setting the fluid level requires a scan tool and if you're unable to read fault codes but had replaced the fluid yourself then there is little chance fluid level is correct.

Disconnecting the battery is clearing the fault codes from the trans controller so you don't want to disconnect the battery until the problem has been diagnosed. You'll need to drive it to allow the problem again and then the first step in diagnosing it will be to see what codes have set.