Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 2000 dodge ram cummins 3500 dually, and it seems

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 dodge ram cummins 3500 dually, and it seems like the transmission slips only in fourth gear. the rpms aggressively fluctuate.
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: its an automatic and I just checked the fluid yesterday
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am hoping to fix it myself, so I have had this problem for a while and it all started about 600km after i replaced the heater core without unpluging the wires from the dash during the removal. After the re assemblt the prndl shifter gauge labelling became inop. Then 600km later the rpm fluctuating began in fourth. I later read a fix of moving the grounf wire away from the alternator which is apparently causing noise in the wires. ?? . well I did that and the problem persisted for another 10km after that and after a very large bump it went away. then about 400km it started coming back wth a vengence. Im completely lost with this.
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: why this problem disappears and then comes back
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: there are bubbles in the trans fluid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Transmission Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.

Hi Mark, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the oil condition for burnt smell or dark discoloration indicating an internal failure and excessive heat. Also drop the pan and inspect for sludge, metal, debris indicating an internal failure occurring requiring overhaul. If clean I recommend having the transmission pressure checked to see if it drops off in 4th gear indicating leakage in that clutch pack. Let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the oil is clean, there is no sludge residue. As for the pressure im not sure. However I should mention when the engine is cold there is no slipping.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
any suggestions as to what the issue could be since the problem only occurs when the oil heats up after aprox. 50km of travel??

sounds like either there is a problem in the valve body for the 4th clutch engagement or the 4th gear clutch. When things are at temp they expand and the oil viscosity thins out. Having the pressures tested will allow any pressure drop off in 4th to be seen.

See if the pressure drops off when this occurs.