Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I just replaced my transmission in my Mazda MPV LX 2005. We

Customer Question

I just replaced my transmission in my Mazda MPV LX 2005. We thought that my transmission had lived its last leg at 148,521 miles. After it was replaced, we are still having the slippage in shifting. Could it be my TCM??
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Automatic. The fluid was flushed and replaced before and after the transmission replacement.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I want to fix it myself. I am the one who dropped the old granny and put in the new one. I have flushed the tranny, lowered the granny fluid, replaced the granny with a new one (rebuilt from manufacturer), and flushed and filled the new granny. The same slipping feeling is still there. I've changed spark plugs, oil and filter, and even replaced hoses to be on the safe side.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I was told by the manufacturer (who rebuilt me a new tranny) that since it is still doing the same thing, that it might be the TCM. But I have no idea.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Are all shifts and gears slipping?

Slipping results in the rpms climbing fast and high with speed not increasing equally, is that what is happening?

A TCM issue rarely is to blame for a slip issue, that normally is from internal transaxle issues.

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's is all gears. The best way I can explain is when I push the gas peddle, first gear is good, then it's like it's delayed going into second where it becomes a hard shift. Once 4th gear is reached and overdrive is supposed to kick in, the has peddle seems to have no response on acceleration unless I lift the peddle and push it further down. Again, it delays in shifting and results in a hard shift.

Are there any warning lights on and codes stored?

Were there any concerns with your old or new transaxles fluid like bad color or an odor, prior to replacing the fluid?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no CEL on and no codes stored. There was no concern with transaxle fluid prior to replacing fluid. It was the pinkish color that brand new fluid is supposed to be and no carbon monoxide (rotten egg smell) when checking or draining transaxle fluid.

Do you have a pressure gauge so we can check the line pressure. So far there is still not enough info to say its electrical or modules to blame.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No we don't. It was checked though when I had my alignment done and all preassure is in the clear (I paid extra for this).

Thanks, ***** ***** have a diagnostic tool to monitor the shift solenoids?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do

When the solenoids are commanded and the computer shows a gear change is the shift happening at that exact time or is the shift late?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1st gear on time, 2nd gear on time, 3rd gear on time, 4th gear delayed, overdrive shifting delayed.

Thanks, ***** ***** of a delay was there between actual and commanded 3-4 shift?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3-4 shift time delay= 4 seconds.
4-overdrive time delay= 6 seconds.
Could it be an o2 sensor not communicating and pushing air back?

There would be a code if the O2 sensor were bad.

The symptom chart states this would be caused by a concern in the valve body. Have you ever removed and rebuilt a valve body?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I personally have not ever removed or rebuilt a valve body. Upon looking at a detailed diagram of my transmission, it looks like the valve body is located at the base of the transmission above the oil pan, is that correct? With a rebuilt transmission from the manufacturer, wouldn't that have been one of their focuses, the control valve or valve body???

I have no clue whom rebuilt it or there skills, so I can not speak on there behalf if all was done right or not. Yes the VB is accessed with the pan off.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I can access the pan and remove it with no issue. How can I determine or what do I look for in the valve body to determine if there is anything wrong? I know it looks like a small version of a giant maze... is there anything that should be looked for in particular?

I do not believe I can teach someone how to rebuild a valve body over the internet. The transmission is under warranty, it would be best for you to use the warranty on your rebuilt trans. I think its best I let someone else try to help you. Best of Luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The transmission warranty was only 60 days after purchase and ended in April. Thank you for your help.