Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Our 2011 Lexus GX 460 is flashing 4Lo, along with check

Customer Question

Our 2011 Lexus GX 460 is flashing 4Lo, along with check engine flashing and traction flashing. Please advise. Thank you.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 74706 miles automatic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes hoping. Something with navigation system but no luck
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Never had this problem before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Transmission Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Do you have the ability to scan it to see which codes are stored?

What symptoms are noticed while driving other than the lights?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i do not have ability to scan. vehicle is driving in lo gear. 4lo keeps flashing even though switch is in 4hi

If you drive it straight 10 foot then stop, shift to neutral, hold your foot on the brake, then select 4 high and wait, will it then shift

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried it no
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you familiar with problem? have you run across this problem before and found a solution?

Yes I have had to diagnose these issues before.

The flashing check engine light means a misfire has been detected.

The traction control light on can be a faulty reading wheel speed sensor.

The vehicle stuck in low is going to be a shift actuator faulty, faulty position switch, ECU failure.

Prior to any repairs the diag for each concern must begin with codes being retrieved.

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the vehicle is riding smoothly there is no misfire the only sign flashing is 4lo the other two signs are on steady i dont know if that makes any difference in the diagnosis

Early you said they were all flashing which is why I answered the way I did. The check engine light not flashing just means there is likely not a misfire to blame but still an engine related code. The rest of the answer remains the same.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
someone else was typing i was in the car does it make a difference? i need to know! just tell what to do so i can fix the damn problem.

The first thing to do is have it scanned. There is not enough information yet to start replacing parts. You and I or anyone else would just be guessing with only knowing what we know now about the vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how am i suppose to scan for a code? is there a way i can scan for code or do i need a special instrument (computerized tool) to get a reading .

You need a tool that plugs in under the drivers side of the dash to see which of the about 700 possible codes are stored.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i want to know are you still charging me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you still charging me $43 to tell me you cant help me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if i need to go to a mechanic to get those codes then why would i need you. why didnt you say at the beginning if you dont have any codes i cant help you

Sorry I have no control over the questions asked, if the car owner has tools or can work on vehicles, or what concern the car has. We just try to help as best we can based on the info given to us, the info that can be gotten for us, and the skills of the car owner wanting to do the repair. I am not saying I can not help. I am saying I can not tell you with accuracy which part to replace without codes. Even once I know the codes we still have to do diagnostics. The codes alone do not tell us what is faulty, just where to start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i dont have such a tool i am not a mechanic i would assume 1% of 1% of the general population has such a tool which i am sure you must know that. why before you take my credit card info didnt you let us know to get in touch with you after said codes would be ascertained. wouldnt that be the ethical thing to do. now you are telling me you cant help without that information. so i reiterate am i being charged even though i have no way of obtaining that information. which i am sure you must have been aware of this unless you assumed i am part of that 1%of 1% of the population.

I have nothing to do with the fee or your expectations prior to asking your question. I just answer questions and nothing more. You were charged the full question value at 6:52 central time. I just checked, since then I have helped 16 customers. 9 of them had codes or were able to get me codes. We have no idea of your skills or abilities or concern prior to you landing on the board waiting for an expert to help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
7 other people got scammed like i just did. i am cancelling the charge you didnt make it clear before you charged what i needed to give you in terms of info in order to help.you didnt answer the question at hand
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i am disputing this charge and notifying the authorities if this cant be resolved between us

No where did I say 7 people got scammed. The other 7 customers did not have concerns associated with warning lights on and codes stored. Nothing is a scam here. You have just asked a question that requires some diag which you say your not able to do.

Do you want me to have CS contact you?

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris