Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

My son's Jetta after warm becomes hard shifting. Extremely

Customer Question

My son's Jetta after warm becomes hard shifting. Extremely hard.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: MY
JA: What year is your Jetta?
Customer: The jetta has about 130K and was low on fluid. We have topped off the fluid, but it now is hard shifting
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2007 and yes I'm a master certified mechanic. I retired 5 years ago.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: called vw house and they said there is a problem the different shift valves.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the trouble codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in Plano Tx, my son lives in Houston Tx. Yes there are codes. But he doesn't know what the codes are. He is smarter than I, he makes his living with his head not his hands.
I'm going to Houston this weekend and will check it out then.
I was noticing that alot of people adjusted the shift cable for the repair.

it doesnt have a tv cable

he needs to get those codes,,it may be a bad tps[throttle position sensor] or something like that

the codes will give us a clue to what is going on

if he doesnt have a scanner,auto zone and most parts stores will scan it and give him the codes for free

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will get the codes today and advise from there.
Is there a common problem on the Jetta?

yes,,the ommon problem is transmission failier..but,lets wait till we have the codes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay

when you can.post those codes

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's over a***** Have texted my son and asked him to get the codes. Have to wait till he either gets back to me or till I get there.
Sarcasm is not appreciated!
I'm 65 years old and have over 40+ years of experience with a masters certification w/L1.

great,when he gets the codes,please give them to me..

not using sarcasm,these transmission are known to burn out because they dont have an external filter,the filter is internal.the filter will clog over time and cause low fluid pressure,thus,burning out the transmission

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OTC, Snap-on and most quality scanners have a section for troubleshooting that give common problems to failures. To answer with transmission failure, sounds sarcastic.
I apologize if I am wrong.I don't have access to the information I use to have.

no need for apology..

when he gets the codes,let me know what they are..

and we will go from there

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://2un.me/ajhz
This is a link to my son's computer codes. Let me know if you have a problem with this link.

ok

the po730 code worries me here

the incorrect gear ratio means the transmission is/has been slipping

i think it mave have lost a gear,,and that is why it shits hard,,,it is skipping the lost gear[i would think 2nd or 3rd

the rpm's must get up high enough for the lost[burn out] gear,then when it hifts,it jerks.

i would sugest taking the car to a transmission shop to let them test drive..and get the thoughts of a guy that can physically get a feel of it..

again i think it is internal,if this is the case,the transmission would need to be rebuilt or replaced..sorry.

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have driven the car about a month ago, it didn't slip and shift points were correct for almost 10 to 15 minutes. Then it had a delayed shift and very hard shift.
With all the codes in different areas, the computer could have a bad ground. I don't know if all these areas have a common ground. Will perform a voltage drop test and see from there.

ok,

again,,the reason i think it works well when you first drive...

is because the fluid is much thicker when cold,then when it heats up,the fluid gets much thinner,thus causing the loss of pressure.

do check the wiring,but it does sound mechanical to me and not electrical

understand,i rebuild automatic transmissions every day,,but do get an opinion of a transmission guy that can physically look at it

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If the bands are worn out, it would slip from beginning to end. I've seen this before on American built cars; it was shift solenoids. Ford had a wiring harness that was too close to the exhaust manifold and after the harness gets hot, it short out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm leaving now �� for Houston. Will advice what I found.

im not ruling out electrical..but,again sounds mechanical,,worn cltches can hold when the fluid id cold and thick and slip when hot and thin,,and you do have a slip code.

again,all i can do is give you my houghts from what you tell me.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand

great

thanks