virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

96 Buick Lesabre 3800. When I drive about 30 minutes at

Customer Question

96 Buick Lesabre 3800. When I drive about 30 minutes at highway speed, then idle for 7 - 10 minutes, then resume on the interstate at 70 mph, usually within 10 - 15 minutes later, the engine rpms slowly climb and speed reduces. rarely if you downshift out of overdrive, you hear/feel no difference in rpms. Also, going up a hill with just the slightest acceleration, you can see on the tach that the trans is searching it will downshift, upshift, ect... By stepping firmly on the throttle, it downshifts correctly. 1st shop replaced TPS and was a little better on the 'going up hill' issue, however now the miles needed to almost always trigger the rising rpm and lost of speed issue. Just seems to me a torque converter lock-up failure. Never has gotten 24 mpg, get mph on 2 others. After warming up, rpm levels seem to be higher, like 60mph tach reading 21, 2200 rpms. should be 1700 to 1800(my guess) and that's why less mileage. Is this a possible torque converter problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So it could be the torque converter, but it could be the lockup (TCC) solenoid as well or the pump seals going bad and losing pressure. But to diagnos it properly you need a professional scan tool and a pressure gauge would help as well. I would go to a transmission shop and ask the tech to do a ride along with the scanner and have him watch the data stream. Esp for the lockup solenoid. You will probably have to pay a diag fee for him to ride along but it would be more conclusive.Let me know if you have any questions.Thanks
Unless of course you have a professional scanner w data stream for the transmission. That would work as well.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.