Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

ESP, ABS, BAS, Check Engine lights are on. And won't shift

Customer Question

HI! ESP, ABS, BAS, Check Engine lights are on. And won't shift out of first. Car was running fine. Took to the no touch carwash as sell, and now this.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: well
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2003 s430
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes...nothing yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It just passed smog.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here today.

If this issue only occured after you went through a car wash there is a chance a brake sensor,solenoid or component had got water into it or shorted out and caused this fault here.

What has to be done from here to locate this issue is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set can be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.This has to be done with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.

One of the more common causes I have seen is a fault with a wheel speed sensor needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great answer thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome.

Feel free to rate my help above.

Thanks Pete