sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Thank you. We have been driving all day and now our 2005

Customer Question

Thank you. We have been driving all day long and now our 2005 Infinity qx56 won't shift into reverse or park.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking. Transmission is the original
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No will probably need to take it in. It just happened in the last 15 minutes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any response to or question from the Infinity expert?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the shifter won't move forward past neutral it could be an issue in the shifter itself, a mechanical issue in the transmission, the shift cable, or there may be something foreign physically blocking movement at either the shifter or transmission end.

Were you wanting to repair the problem yourself or were you just looking to know some possible causes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well thank you and the repair would depend if it is an easy fix or not

The first thing I would recommend is chocking the wheels and/or setting the emergency brake for safety, slide under and check for any physical obstructions preventing shift linkage from moving at the transmission. If nothing is seen then remove the shift cable and see if you're able to shift it by hand.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay will do that first

Let me know how it goes!