sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

1994 Chevy Blazer 4X4 Full size 5.7. 72,500 Miles. Recently,

Customer Question

1994 Chevy Blazer 4X4 Full size 5.7. 72,500 Miles. Recently, and intermittently, the transmission has become stuck in second gear. It is automatic. Transmission was serviced 15K or so ago. Fluid looks and smells fine. I have run a voltage test on the TPS and it checked out perfectly. For background though, I replaced the entire ABS about six years ago, and it began engaging unnecessarily a short while prior to this problem. I unplugged everything from the ABS pump and module a few weeks ago. A short while before that, I believe the four wheel drive started to fail to engage. Wondering about the ECM. Could it be a system by system melt down caused by a failing ECM?
JA: Have you checked the fluids? Have the brakes been shaking or squeaking?
Customer: Just replace every thing on the breaks with the exception of the front rotors, which are drilled and slotted. I do suspect that the right front could be having an effect on the ABS though. I'm planning to change them, and then the pads again as well.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I try to do all my own work. I think I've given you enough back information. Let me know if require more.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the trans is stuck in second gear then it's almost certainly in limp in. If the powertrain control module sees an issue that will prevent proper operation it can lock you in a single gear. There are many possible causes for limp in including wiring, the PCM itself, pressure switches and solenoids

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are setting?